Thursday, March 31, 2011

The M word!

Usually when I hear the word Math, I hear scary music in my head. Either Jaws or the music from the shower scene in Psyco. It depends on my mood, the type of math and-surprisingly, who is teaching it.

Yes, I've always know that teachers are important, I just kind of naively assumed that children are natural learners and will learn with or without a teacher. Sure, a good teacher is a good thing to have, but if the teacher is sub par, the, students will learn, just not as much or as well as they would have. Now, that makes me laugh. It is all about the teacher! If the teacher is bad, the students just don't learn. At all. It's a big deal. If you don't like the teachers personality you can get by. If you can't stand his or her teaching style, just get outta there! Its not worth the time or heartache or money you'll spend there. Anyway...that's how I feel about math but I am trying hard to work on that so as to not pass that on to my students. (and be a good teacher to boot)

That brings us to how I feel about another issue in the education universe: planet math: country: calculators. I am all for them. Mental math is all well and good, but really? Can you take .4569 divided by3.445? In your head?? Probably not, so what do you do? Use a calculator. In the "real world" (where is that anyway?) we all use calculators for stuff, especially tipping. so, why do we expect our poor students to do fractions and decimals in there heads? As soon as they learn these things... they learn a way around them. And really have you ever seen something 68 and 1/3 % off? I think not. We need to make math (and all subjects) accessible to our students so its written in "their language".  Also, I feel the point of education is to get the student ready for the real world.  So..Go calculators!!

We are supposed to encourage technology in the classroom, but calculators continue to be a bone of contention?  really world?  OK. Technology in math is hard-ish.  A hands on spinner is much more effective for probability then one on a smart board.  Hands on is always more effective then something on a screen.  But if you don't have spinners, here is a good website for spinners.  Its called Math Playground. So how is a teacher-to-be supposed to use technology in the math classroom?  I honestly don't  have many ideals... Math is kind of ether pencil and paper or hands on.  If you have a project based school then its easier...but still.  Maybe I'm reveling the college student in me, but I'm young and can learn.  So comment with ideals.

I also think (being young and naive) that timed tests are crazy. If they know it in 2 seconds or if they know it in 2 minutes....the point is that they know it. Speed comes with time and isn't the understanding more important then rote memorization? They teach me that it is.

Memorization is another thing thing that comes with time. If you know it, you can allow a second or 2 to think about it. It does have its place, I just think its not as big a deal as everyone says.

Ya I have a lot to learn and I know I have highly idealized the teaching profession, but hey, I'm young and can learn. That's the point of collage.  That's why I'm here and frankly I can't wait 'tell I find out what its really like! That's all folks! Until next time!  As always I'm willing to learn, and to hear your opinions, so leave your comments below.
Todays picture is from http://www.techpin.com/cool-math-games/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers